Saturday 21 February 2015

Review: Stolen - A Letter to My Captor by Lucy Christopher

6408862Edition: ebook
Pages: 177
Publish Date: May 4, 2009
Publisher: Scholastic Inc
Genre: Young Adult Contemporary
Series: No
Goodreads Rating: 3.94 (39,343 ratings)

Going into the mind of a young girl suffering from Stockholm was honestly infuriating. I understand the whole thing about Stockholm syndrome and tricking yourself into believing what's happening is right, that your captor is a good person, but as a reader it didn't capture me the way I had expected. After reading Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma which is a book about incest, through that book and their love story I ended up wanting them to be together despite how wrong it was. I thought this would bring the same reaction, being able to identify with the character and how she fell for her captor, but in the end I was just frustrated. Maybe it's just one of those scenarios that I don't have an understanding for, or the fact that after watching so much crime TV I've learned to understand who's evil and who's good. I could not find any sympathy or understanding, and especially not respect for Ty. It may have also been the writing style, as it sort of places the reader as the recipient of Gemma's letter, Ty. The last person I wanted to read as. 
Over all I see why people have some love for this story, It's one of those hauntingly sad stories that's meant to teach you something, but in the end for me I just truly did not enjoy this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment