Saturday 30 August 2014

Review: The Best of Me by Nicholas Sparks


Edition: Paperback
Pages: 292
Publish Date: September 14 2010
Publisher: Grand Central 
Genre: Romance
Series: No
Goodreads Rating: 3.84 (55,128 ratings)

After beginning this book in April I had to stop. I did the foolish thing that we all sometimes do. I was in a depressing slump, in need of a happy ending...stupid idea to pick up a Nicholas Sparks novel, it's practically inevitable that you will cry and you will be heartbroken in some way. So, yes. I read the last page. After doing so and knowing the ending I went and picked up some cheesy summer romance book in need of a happy ending.

WARNING: IF YOU WANT A HAPPY ENDING WHERE ONE OF THE MAIN CHARACTERS DOESN'T DIE, DON'T READ THIS BOOK!

I've read 3 Nicholas Sparks books and only 1 has a happy ending - The Last Song. The other one was A Walk to Remember, and yes Jamie dies, but atleast it was expected and she died happy, getting her number 1 wish. But this whole story? Family rivalry? That's it. The family didn't like Dawson because he wasn't a total criminal like them, and when he comes home for a funeral - a funeral of all things - reuniting with his childhood love, his only love. And then he get's killed...Over breaking some idiots nose! This would be a story that Dawson should have triumphed over his psychotic family, gotten his love out of her marriage to a drunk.
Don't get me wrong the ending had it's beauty because Dawson dying and being a donor ended up saving Amanda's son, but seriously, I was not happy. 

“I gave you the best of me, he'd told her once, and with every beat of her son's heart, she knew he'd exactly done that.” 
― Nicholas SparksThe Best of Me

And they're making this into a movie..



No comments:

Post a Comment