Tuesday 12 August 2014

Review: The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman


“I do not miss childhood, but I miss the way I took pleasure in small things, even as greater things crumbled. I could not control the world I was in, could not walk away from things or people or moments that hurt, but I took joy in the things that made me happy.” 
― Neil GaimanThe Ocean at the End of the Lane

I'm going to be honest, I totally got this because of the cover and Neil Gaiman's reputation as an amazing writer. Though I strongly agree that his writing is beautiful, fantasy isn't really my cup of tea. Nevertheless I did thoroughly enjoy this short story, it was creative and complex and I will most certainly be recommending this book to Gaiman's fans and other fantasy lovers. But for myself I'm probably not going to continue with many of his works, as much as I try to expand out of my realistic fiction world I just can't get into certain genres.
Well earned 4 stars for amazing writing, beautiful cover art, and for capturing the interest of a non fantasy book person.

No comments:

Post a Comment