Tuesday 5 August 2014

Review: Where She Went by Gayle Forman


This is one of those books that I'm now kicking myself for not reading the minute it came out. I read If I Stay when I was younger and again toward the beginning of this year and I still adore it. If you don't know about these books or this author you must be living under a rock especially since If I Stay is now a movie. And now that I've read this book (finally) I cannot wait for it to become a movie too.

Basically this follows the aftermath of the car accident and Mia waking up (sorry spoiler alert). But this time it's from Adam's point of view, showing his life after Mia left for Julliard and broke up with him.
I love those magical coincidences that only ever happen in books but somehow they find eachother again. Both now famous in their own musical worlds things have definitely changed. The goes back and forth between this one night they are together again and Adam's life leading up to that night. He's falling apart under the pressure of Shooting Stars fame, and now with Mia, seeing her again just is the final crack. With his heartbreak still seemingly fresh he needs to know what went wrong, and he gets his answer.

“I needed to hate someone and you’re the one I love the most, so it fell on you.” 
― Gayle FormanWhere She Went

Like I said though, things have changed, she stayed for him and no matter the pain it brought her, she's also found happiness in her music and now that he's back neither of them are going anywhere. They're staying, together.

I am so happy. It's written exactly like If I Stay, jumping from past to present, and the mix of quotes from Adam's album he wrote after she left fit perfectly. And you know me, I'm a happily ever after kind of girl, and this ending is so simple yet it brought me to tears because it made you feel how much Adam loves Mia and despite his promise he's never letting her go again.





Thanks for reading this review but please go read these books! They're beautiful and Gayle Forman's writing is flawless! Cannot wait to see the movie :)

No comments:

Post a Comment