Monday 13 October 2014

Review: Heaven is for Real by Todd Burpo

Edition: Audiobook
Pages: 4 hours 16 minutes
Publish Date: November 2, 2010
Publisher: Oasis Audio
Genre: Non Fiction Biography
Series: No
Goodreads Rating: 4.01 (162,316 ratings)

I will state one thing. I am not religious. But THIS was life beautiful. I don't believe there is one all powerful being we call God who's running the show, but I do believe that the spirits of those you love are watching over you, and in experiences like this you get to see them and they'll help you or they'll take you with them to your next life. I know religion is so diverse and questionable and many beliefs are hated on. But I may not believe in some things, this book just cemented the hope to see loved ones again, that there is somewhere else for when your stuck between life and death. 
Now onto the book...this is definitely a classic story for religious groups, but generally it's just a book that makes you smile. The first part went through the pain of Colton being so sick which was hard, but after that the talk of heaven and seeing Jesus was said with such a childlike innocence that you couldn't help but be touched by this story.
No, I don't believe in God or Jesus, but this book made me smile and gives hope to others. 
3.5 stars. I only read this book so I could see the movie and I was in fear of the heavy preaching I was anticipating, but it was told with such casualty that it didn't seem as overwhelming and - forgive me for saying - annoying. 
I strongly recommend this book to people who do believe, and even for those who don't. I look forward to seeing the movie now that I've finished the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment