Tuesday 7 October 2014

Review: Just One Day by Gayle Foreman

Edition: eBook
Pages: 300
Publish Date: January 8, 2013
Publisher: Dutton Books
Genre: Young Adult Contemporary
Series: No
Goodreads Rating: 4.06 (29,182 ratings)

Going into this book I had very little faith that I would like it. Though I loved If I Stay and Where She Went this particular book didn't really seem like my cup of tea but the hype drew me into it. The last books I read because of the hype was Eleanor and Park and The Maze Runner, both of which I did not enjoy. So now I've read Just One Day and I have to say it was not what I expected. It was more that just one day, and that one day was kind of meaningful and cute, not as life altering as I thought it would be, and when that one day ended I was so confused! Huge cliffhanger thinking Willam left her, or maybe it was her who left him, and then you have to go through college with Allyson and her controlling parents, and Allyson's adventure in trying to find Willam and more importantly Lulu. Finding her Independence, changing her own future, and making her way back to Paris. to find him.
And so she does...and that's when it ends, him just opening the door for her..THAT"S IT!? 
Now to the main part, was the hype right or wrong? Was it the same as Eleanor and Park and The Maze Runner?
YES. Yes it was. The one day seems very boring and uninteresting if I'm honest. The supporting characters were somewhat interesting but mostly irritating. The stupid ending after all that searching! I know there's another book that follows right from the end of just one day but after this I could care less about what happens for Allyson and Willam. 
I seem to not be having a very good month for start, maybe the next pick will be one no one has hyped because clearly I don't like anything that everyone else likes.
I know others have enjoyed this book and I'm glad you did, I loved If I Stay and Where She Went and I'm sorry that I did not enjoy more of Gayle Foreman's work. 
Thanks for reading!


2 comments:

  1. I really don't have a big love affair with Gayle Forman like everyone else. I didn't much like If I Stay and this one was pretty slow, too. Glad I'm not the only one who thinks so! If it makes you feel any better, she just recently wrote a conclusion to the story in the novella, Just One Night. But why should we be forced to read a whole other novella just to finish the book??? Ugh. Anyway....

    Great blog! Is there a place to follow? I'd love comments/follow backs, too. <3

    Brittany @ http://www.spacebetweenthespines.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank god I'm not alone in this! Ya I'm not even going to both with either of the other books.
      And thanks :) you can follow me on Google+ or I'll friend you on goodreads, your blog is amazing btw!

      Delete